Woodworking addresses a full spectrum of physical, cognitive, and social skills. Physical skills include fine motor dexterity, hand-eye coordination and muscle strength. Woodwork projects also demand cognitive and social skills such as planning, problem-solving and perseverance, along with maths skills such as measurement and geometric shapes. Of course, there is no ‘i’ in ‘team’, and any successful team project requires communication, co-operation, and self-esteem.
Each student will access Woodwork for one class session per week.
Woodwork is a much-loved session that allows the students the opportunity to develop their imagination and creativity, and to see their creation come to life.
Woodwork provides our students with a great opportunity to develop the following skills and more:
- Cognitive skills such as planning, problem solving and perseverance.
- Social skills such as teamwork, co-operation, and self-esteem.
- Language skills through following instructions whilst abiding by safety skill and through increased opportunity to use receptive and expressive descriptive communication.
- Physical skills such as fine motor dexterity, hand-eye coordination and muscle strength.
- Maths skills are used in context, for example, measurement and geometric shapes.
- Academic skills such as matching and classification abilities, sorting and comparing skills, and recognition of textures and properties.
Skills and Focus Areas
- Problem Solving
- Independence and Self-Esteem
- Language Skills
- Receptive and Expressive Communication
- Fine Motor Dexterity
- Hand-Eye Coordination
- Muscle Strength
- Maths Skills
- Matching and Classification
- Sorting and Comparing
- Recognition of Textures and Properties
"My daughter is really happy at Widad."
My daughter is really happy at Widad. Widad offers a unique environment for the kids that instills a passion in them. They allow them to be creative and flexible. Kids are allowed to be kids. I really love the importance they give on the whole rounded development of the children. Woodwork, yoga, cooking, arts and music are as important as academics, which I believe helps in channeling a lot of the creative energy children are naturally blessed with.
Mrs. Geethu Sandeep - Parent
"Strongly recommend for occupational therapy."
I strongly recommend Divya for occupational therapy. I have interviewed with various occupational therapists after our class teacher raised her concerns about sensory needs of my child. I found Divya’s approach very professional, comforting, to the point and far from being commercial. During our sessions she has given us very constructive feedback and she was always very responsive to my questions and concerns. I felt very comfortable with her and my son has established a very strong bond.
"It’s a galaxy-wide difference!"
Everything is done that the kids can grow independently, master their own day to day needs. This is actually what makes a difference to us. My son’s speech is much better, his behaviour is much better, his social interaction is fantastic, when you compare two years back to now, it’s a galaxy-wide difference!
"Widad is a happy place."
We have been with Widad for a long time and I can surely tell that "Widad is a happy place." The children love it and the staff is so helpful and compassionate to the children. We visit the school for after school therapy, the Occupational Therapist Divya is simply great. She knows exactly what to do to make the child progress. Three cheers to all.
Mrs. Aanal Shah - Parent